Giving back to our community is so important. We are excited to present Charleston Moms CARE, a series where we highlight different non-profits around the Lowcountry. We’ll tell you more about the organization and how you can get involved!
This month we are featuring Just Bee, a platform to create a world where anyone with autism is treated equally!
Just Bee is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit founded by a mom, Layla Luna, inspired by her son, Rio, who was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder in 2010. The mission of Just Bee is to make the world Autism-friendly, encouraging positive experiences for autistic and neurodivergent communities.
As the Founder and CEO, Layla works to connect families with their local community by raising awareness, creating partnerships, and providing training resources for businesses to become more sensory-friendly.
Just Bee provides Certified Training Programs:
- For first responders: a specialized training curriculum on how to communicate with neurodivergent individuals during emergency situations.
- For individuals, schools, and businesses: an interactive, online Autism sensitivity training, educating on autism indicators, interventions, and how to support those living with autism.
Ways to Get Involved
- Train: help teach staff how to serve neurodiverse individuals and their families
- Verify: become a Just Bee-certified business as a sensory-friendly establishment
- Bee-Friendly Hours: create sensory-friendly hours of operation for your business or event.
- Host an Event: host an event for neurodivergent individuals and their families
- Sponsor a Spot: Are you a business owner or know a business that could benefit from Autism sensitivity training? Sponsor them by hosting a training event at your favorite spot.
- Empower: empower diverse families with sensory-friendly spots and safety tools
- Download the Just Bee App: Find Autism-Friendly businesses near you. Contact Just Bee to learn how your business can join this list of sensory-friendly spots.
Learn more about Just Bee
Let’s show our community some love! Help us spread the word about your favorite Lowcountry non-profits by tagging us @charlestonmoms and using the hashtag #charlestonmomscare and we’ll share your pictures!