Charleston offers so many fun activities for summer. Here’s a list of 50+ ideas to make this summer the best one yet with your kiddos! And don’t forget to check out our Ultimate Guide to Summer filled with all the things to do, see, and eat this summer around Charleston!
- Enjoy hands-on fun through the many exhibits at the Children’s Museum of the Lowcountry.
- A walk along the Battery to Battery Park and White Point Gardens offers many sights of the water and boats and beautiful homes.
- Take a self-guided walking tour South of Broad and allow your children to explore the interesting architecture and history.
- And while you are walking, be sure to stop at the Waterfront Park & Pineapple Fountain, where children and adults can cool off in the water fountains or enjoy a ride on the waterfront swings.
- Catch Charlie and Chelsea at a Riverdogs game. Stay for fireworks after Friday games or catch a Kids Club Sunday game for free parking and kids eat free!
- Saturday mornings at the Charleston Farmer’s Market offers food, fun, crafts, and live music.
- Visit the Charleston Museum, which houses many child-friendly activities, including the playhouse.
West of the Ashley
- Take in the beauty of Magnolia Gardens and visit the Zoo and Nature Center, to view native livestock and animals.
- Charles Towne Landing offers a morning or afternoon of fun – explore the replica of a boat, walk through the animal forest, or bike the many trails.
- Paint with the kids at Nailed It DIY Studio.
- Teach the kids and yourself some new skills at the Kids Workshop at Home Depot. Participants receive materials for completing the craft, a certificate, a workshop apron, and a commemorative pin.
East of the Cooper
- Jump, jump, jump at Sky Zone.
- Take in a Charleston Battery game.
- Mount Pleasant Memorial Waterfront Park offers acres of fun for a game of frisbee on the lawn, playground play, or walk the pier and watch the boats.
- Enroll kids in the Flight Academy at Patriots Point or explore the Yorktown as a family.
- Enjoy a walk, run, or bike at sunset on the Pitt Street Bridge.
- Enjoy lunch at one of the many restaurants on Shem Creek and view the boats, kayakers, and even perhaps a few dolphins.
- Make the kids scream for ice cream at Ben and Jerry’s IOP.
- Climb the observation tower at Mount Pleasant Palmetto Islands County Park.
- Run, walk, or bike the trails and enjoy the scenery at Laurel Hill County Park in Mount Pleasant.
- Wow the kids with a sweet (huge!) treat from Crazy Mason Milkshake Bar in Mount Pleasant.
North Charleston & Summerville
- Spend a fun-filled water day at Whirlin’ Waters Adventure Park.
- Let the kiddos burn off some energy at Bizzy Bee Indoor Play Center.
- Race go-karts or play a round of mini-golf at Frankie’s Fun Park.
- Visit the North Charleston Fire Museum to ignite the firefighter in everyone.
- Munch on a picnic lunch at Azalea Park and then walk down the street for dessert (cupcakes!) at Bubbie’s Bakery.
- Check out the Summerville Public Works Art Center and maybe even enroll in a class! They have classes for the kiddos and adults!
- Just past Summerville, take a short drive to Bee City where you can experience a honeybee farm, petting zoo, and nature center.
- Rent pedal boats or kayaks and enjoy the water at the North Charleston Wannamaker County Park. Prefer to stay dry? Visit two playgrounds fit for all kids.
- Enjoy a relaxing late morning at the James Island Sunday Brunch Farmer’s Market with live music and good eats.
- Climb high and channel your inner Tarzan at Wild Blue Ropes Adventure Park.
- Splash, slide, and ride at the Splash Zone Water Park in James Island County Park.
- Bike the trails at James Island County Park and cool off at the splash pad.
Johns Island & Surrounding Islands
- All alligator, turtle, and snake lovers will enjoy the Edisto Island Serpentarium.
- Spend the day by driving out to Botany Bay Plantation Heritage Preserve, where you will experience a beach like no other.
- Take the kids out to the farm at Ambrose Farms for seasonal berry picking.
- Freshfields Village offers many opportunities for fun this summer. Check out their events calendar for upcoming events.
- The Charleston County Library offers many activities for the summer, including a summer reading program, workshops, and movies. Pick up a complete activity calendar or visit www.ccpl.org for library-specific activities.
- By purchasing a Gold Pass for the Charleston County Parks you can check the remaining fun places to visit off your summer bucket list for no additional cost!
- Visit the Ravenel Caw Caw Interpretive Center for a scavenger hunt and nature walk.
- Visit Kiawah Beachwalker Park for a morning beach session.
- A trip to the Isle of Palms County Park offers a sand volleyball court, many picnic areas, and just a short walk over the dunes takes you right to the beach and oceanfront.
- Folly Beach County Park offers a great spot with ample parking. This beach access is ideal as there is only a short walk to the beach. The shelter also offers restroom facilities, and there are changing huts with showers spread throughout the park area for after-beach changes.
- Step back in history as you discover the beautiful grounds of McLeod Plantation.
- Walk the trails at the Mullet Hall Equestrian Center. Also, the site is home to many equestrian competitions, you might just get a horse show too!
- Venture to the northeastern side of Folly Beach to the Lighthouse Inlet Heritage Preserve. This site offers views of Morris Island Lighthouse.
- Explore one of Charleston’s many beaches with kids (and read these great tips first!)