There are those of us who cringe at the sight of pink hearts and roses right after Christmas is over, and those of us who embrace the upcoming holiday, no matter how early it is represented in the stores.
No matter which camp you are in, you can either celebrate it, ignore it, or make it an excuse to enjoy a sugar high and hang out with your girlfriends. Even if you have a significant other with whom you want to celebrate Valentine’s Day on February 14th, why not do something fun with friends this year to celebrate Galentine’s Day on February 13th? Thankfully, Charleston has you covered with all kinds of events for both.
Local Galentine’s Day Events
- Palmetto Brewing Company (289 Huger Street) is hosting a Valentine’s Macrame Coaster Class on Friday, February 2 from 6:30-9:30 pm. Bring your girlfriends and make an adorable set of heart coasters for the upcoming holiday. These can be used as adorable decorations in your home or as the perfect handmade gift!
- New Realm Brewery (880 Island Park Dr.) is hosting a candle-making Party on February 8 from 6-8 pm. Bring your friends and enjoy making candles together! Go online to reserve your spot and pay for tickets.
- Gingerline (55 S Market St) is hosting a Galentine’s Day event on Thursday, February 8 at 6 pm where you and your friends can enjoy cocktails, and hors d’oeuvres with locally owned women businesses. Get your tickets online!
- Miss Priss the Sugar Shop (2070 Sam Rittenburg Blvd) is hosting a Galentine’s Day Sip & Cake event on Saturday, February 10 from 5-8 pm at the Comm Reserve Room in the Citadel Mall. Be ready to drink delicious beverages and eat delicious cake with your friends.
- There will be a Galentine’s Day Tea Party at the Queen Suite (57 Broad St.) on February 10 from 12-2 pm. Bring your friends for a tea party fit for queens. Yes, you can create your own teas and enjoy delicious treats with your friends for an unforgettable time.
- The Rooftop at the Vendue Hotel is having a Chic&Glam Galentine’s Affair on February 10 from 4-8 pm. Dress up and bring your friends for an afternoon full of karaoke, chocolate fountains, and jewelry popups.
- If you and your friends enjoy making things together, why not check out the Galentine’s Workshop (Floral Arrangement) at 108 Warbler Way in Summerville on February 10 from 10-12 pm. Bring your girlfriends and learn how to make a beautiful floral arrangement from an expert florist.
- If the words Puppy Yoga strike your fancy, then you will want to attend the My Furry Puppy Valentine Yoga event on Sunday, February 11 at 10 am. The class is for members and non-members alike, and for only $10 you can sign up to enjoy this class at O2 Fitness (James Island location at 848 Folly Rd). So, you get to cuddle with puppies and your ticket cost is a donation to benefit Pet Helpers. This is a win-win.
- Then you can head downtown to attend a Galentine’s Floral Workshop also on Sunday, February 11 from 1-3 pm at 57 Broad Street in downtown Charleston. Bring your gal pals to sip on mimosas while learning how to create a beautiful floral arrangement!
- Also on February 11 is the Galentine’s Day Rooftop Market at Ritual Rooftop (145 Calhoun St). This women-owned business event will have opportunities for building your own bouquets, discovering local jewelry vendors, live music, and more!
- Gather the ladies in your life that you love most for a very special evening of lite bites in Charleston’s iconic pink bar., Camellia’s in the Hotel Bennett. Your ticket is all-inclusive for endless pours and passed canapes from 8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., February 11, 12, and 13. $65 per person.
- Doar Bros (225 Meeting Street) is having a Made for Love, a Galentine’s Floral Affair on February 12 from 6-8 pm where you can create your own modern floral arrangement. This fun event is perfect for pros and beginners alike and includes a cocktail and some delicious food. Reserve your spot before they’re gone.
- The Dime (30 River Landing Dr, Daniel Island) is hosting a Cookies and Cocktails event on Tuesday, February 13 from 5:30-7 pm. Bring your friends to decorate cookies and enjoy some seasonal cocktails along with some bites from the restaurant.
- Take your gal pals to the Den at Frannie and the Fox (181 Church St) on February 13 for their Galentine’s Day Cocktail Class where the lead bartender, Amanda Phelps will guide everyone in making the perfect cocktail. The class begins at 6 pm and come hungry so you can enjoy some favorites from the restaurant.
- Head to Oyster Candle Company on February 13th from 6 pm – 8:30 pm for their Ultimate Galentine’s Day party! Live music, complimentary wine tasting, pour your own candle, get permanent jewelry, create your own perfume, and more!
- The Ryder Hotel (237 Meeting Street) is hosting a Galentine’s Girls Night at the Backyard at the Little Palm Bar on Thursday, February 15 from 7-9 pm. Dress in your favorite Valentine’s outfit and bring your friends to sip on cocktails, eat snacks, dance to live music, and shop from local vendors! Grab your tickets now so you don’t miss out on this fun event!
Other Fun Local Ideas
As a mom, we don’t always go out to do spontaneous things like piercings anymore. But why not check out all the different ear piercings you can get nowadays and make it a fun outing with friends? Head to Studs in downtown Charleston (King St., 346-B) and from February 1-29, you can receive 50% off a piercing service when you and a friend come and get pierced here together. You can even book an appointment online for each of you on studs.com using code PIERCINGPALS50 or walk on in for a spontaneous piercing date. Studs is also launching a Valentine’s Day collection for those with healed piercings to adorn your and your bestie’s Earscape!
Ideas for Galentine’s Day at Home
If you love the thought of hanging out with girlfriends in your sweatpants, in your own house, there is always the opportunity to host your own Galentine’s Day event. Invite your girlfriends over for a relaxing movie/popcorn evening where you can wear your pajamas and create your own face masks while watching the Barbie movie. Or create fun cocktails or mocktails together and vote on which one you like the best!
It doesn’t matter how old you are, all need community and we can always use this holiday as a fabulous reason to get together with our friends and neighbors and reconnect.